Edward Reib Yoga

Friday, December 27, 2013

Year in Review

When 2013 started, I weighed 208 pounds, smoked cigarettes, drank way too much coffee, ate like an average American, had a terrible temper, and very little free time. I also had the usual lower back pain that comes with having a sedentary office-worker lifestyle.

In the middle of March, more/less spontaneously, I declared to the person in charge of some heavy volunteer commitments that I had that I needed, for my own growth, to stop, or at least to not be "required" to attend things or to be on conference calls etc, that after 18 and a half years of that being a large part of my life, I needed for it not to be.

With my new free time, I became inspired, decided to start sitting Zazen (I know, that's redundant) during my lunch breaks. I quit smoking tobacco, and I started watching what I ate. I started doing a forward-fold a few times a day, for the lower back pain.

Soon after, I began doing about 20 minutes of Hatha Yoga before Zazen. After 4 months of that, I began waking up and doing Yoga first thing in the morning as well. By October, I was down to 170 and began to ride my bike again to work (bicycle, not motorcycle). After a couple weeks of that, I leveled out at 168 where I've been hovering ever since. I then decided to quit drinking caffeine completely.

Then, by November, I decided to become a Yoga Instructor. Now, here I am, awaiting my teacher certification training which begins January 24th, and on January 1st I will be cutting out alcohol, and any remaining added sugars or corn syrup type things which still remain in my diet.

So that's that, it's been a really good and productive year. The temper is still there, but it's a lot more manageable.

A year ago I couldn't breathe, my lower back hurt constantly, and I was embarrassed to be seen in a bathing suit. By taking one step at a time toward a regular practice, I've come out of all of that.

I surely do not judge anyone who does not do these things, but I certainly want to let everyone know that it's entirely do-able, to do something about it, to be and to feel healthy.

Anyhow, much love to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment