April 2013That is, sitting meditation, or Zazen (坐 "Za", meaning seat or sitting, and 禅 "Zen" meaning meditation). More specifically, walking up ten flights of stairs to a secluded area near the roof of the building I work in, then doing a Hatha Yoga set, then sitting in Full Lotus (getting there, at least) the way Dogen says to in Fukanzazengi.
At first, this was much more of an athletic endeavor than a meditative one, since my legs aren't used to this. It's been a little over a month now doing this about twice a day for 20 minutes each (once during lunch break, during weekdays, and once in the evening at home), and while it is still a challenge, I find myself more able to let go into the meditative state, rather than simply enduring pain the whole time. Also, while I'm generally adhering to the eyes-open hands-like-so thing specifically learned and taught by Dogen, obviously there are other different and older approaches from a little further west which have different but similar effects, to which I switch when it seems right to do so (i.e. hands on the knees palms upward thumbs-and-index-fingers making a circle (and other mudras) and with eyes closed and looking slightly upward toward the third eye.)
I learned the hard way (pun retroactively intended) that it's a good idea to have a zafu (座 again meaning seat, and 蒲 meaning reedmace, cattail, or typha, which is what they used to stuff them with - also meaning "cushion").
All for now,
Much love,
Edward
Post-Script: If anyone would like to take up a similar practice, I recommend starting here:

No comments:
Post a Comment